Go to my "home page"

Who is Perry Friedman?

Wouldn't you like to know? Well, OK, but where to start? If you're not intested in my life history to date, and you just want to know who and what I am now, jump down towards the end.

I was born May 15, 1968 in Brooklyn, New York. I was raised on Long Island and attended Sachem High School, graduating in 1986.

I went to Stanford University where I made a name for myself on campus for various and sundry reasons. Depending on whom you ask, I was either famous or infamous on campus. I worked for the Stanford Chaparral, the second oldest continuously published humor magazine in the country (next to the Harvard Lampoon). My work for the humor magazine and my various associated pranks quickly earned me a reputation on campus. I started by faking the #1 draw card in the housing draw. I went to the Stanford Daily with the draw card and told them I wanted to live in Synergy (traditionally, you could draw into there with ANY number). They bought the story hook, line, and stinker. The capper on it was that I used the name Charles P. Pierce (Chappie is the nickname for the Chaparral). Then I ended my freshmen year with a controversial letter to the editor concerning some protests on campus.

Throughout my Stanford career I was involved in both humorous and serious pursuits. I was a member of the Student Conduct Legislative Committee during the notorious "fighting words" debate, taking the side of free speech. I was interviewed by CNN and KNBR because of that issue and also spoke at a local chapter of the ACLU. However, my greatest exposure came out of another serious issue turned farcical when I led a recall of the Council of Presidents in the spring of 1990. The story is too long to describe here, but things got a little hectic when Bart Simpson's publicist learned that Bart had been elected to the Graduate Senate and that there were people protesting that his votes were thrown out (true, they were thrown out and there was a protest over votes being thrown out, but the main issue was how this affected the race for the COP and whether or not this was legal under the ASSU Bylaws). Anyhow, the issue received national coverage and the story ran in USA Today as well as numerous other papers throughout the country (the went out on the AP wire). KRON TV came to campus to interview me in person and at least half a dozen radio shows called in to talk to me. I even received a telegraph from Bart Simpson himself (well, his publicist sent it, but it said it was from him)!

In addition to my political and humorous pursuits, I also was a member of the Stanford Cycling Team for several years and continued to race bicycles for a few more years after graduating. I went coterm, earning my Bachelor of Science in Mathematical and Computational Science in the Fall of 1990 and my Masters in Computer Science in the Winter of 1991.

After graduation I moved to Chapel Hill, North Carolina and worked for IBM in the Research Triangle Park. After a couple of years I couldn't take it any more and I had to return to the Bay Area. Once you get a taste of California, it's tough to stay away. I got a contract position at Oracle and my contract lasted three months. I signed on to a permanent position with Oracle, beginning in March of 1994, but first I took a week off at the end of the contract to attend the Winter Olympics in Hamar, Norway and watch my best friend and fellow Stanford alum, John Coyle, compete.

I was good luck, as the USA won a medal at every venue I attended. In fact, the US won five medals in the four venues I attended. I saw the women's relay team win a bronze medal my first night in Hamar. The next day I saw Bonnie Blair win her final gold. The following day I saw Cathy Turner win gold in short track speedskating in the 500m and fellow American Amy Peterson win bronze in the same event. Two days later, John and the rest of the US relay team won a silver medal in the 5,000m relay. The trip was an absolutely incredible experience. I was able to hang out (and party with) a lot of the Olympic skaters and I also had an opportunity to visit the Olympic village.

My stint at Stanford North (Oracle) ended after about two years and I went to work for Harman Interactive in San Jose, in February of 1996. It didn't last long, as I decided to quit at the end of July to work on a startup venture with some friends.

After leaving Harman, I started a company called Pickem Sports with two along with two other people. The company ran contests, mostly around sports events. We were acquired by Internet Sports Network, but the combined company collapsed when the Internet bubble burst.

For several years I worked for a company called Digital Envoy. They provide geographic and connection speed information based on IP address.

In 2002, I won the $1,500 Omaha Hi/Lo event at the World Series of Poker. I play poker semi-professionally, and have had numerous tournament successes besides my win.

In 2003, I was hired as employee number 1 at a software company called Tiltware, which makes software for online poker. Our software was used by a Full Tilt Poker.

I have recently retired from my job at Tiltware and I am enjoying finally having some time to relax and breath for the first time in many years. I am now playing more poker and traveling more as well.

Miscellanious stories on the web

Well, that's me!


Go to my "home page" for more (hopefully) interesting stuff.