19 August 1998
- Improved the terrain generation algorithms. There should no longer be obvious vertical and horizontal lines on the initial map.
- Changed the firefighter routines to disable themselves when there are no fires around. This speeds up the game by 10 to 15 percent (when there are no fires on the map).
18 August 1998
- Found and (hopefully) fixed a bug that caused blobs to walk in weird paths when their destination was blocked.
17 August 1998
- Designed parts of the lumber/logging industry for BlobCity. Forests will be needed to build and sustain a city, so the player will have to conserve some forests to survive.
15 August 1998
- (Internal) Cleaned up and removed old code that was not being used.
7 August 1998
- (Internal) Cleaned up a lot of code internally and added more checking to help me find any memory errors.
3 August 1998
- (Internal) Worked on the path-finding code. I’m investigating better data structures to use, which would speed up path-finding. If I get them to work, I will post the new path-finding code on my Games Programming page.
1 August 1998
- Changed the world map so that you can no longer drag the highlight rectangle off the top or right edge.
29 July 1998
- (Internal) Worked on the path-finding code.
27 July 1998
- Converted the display of altitudes and water depths to the metric system.
26 July 1998
- Added a context menu to the World Map that allows you to change the type of view: normal (terrain, roads, water, trees), terrain (water, trees, and shaded terrain), and civilization (roads, water, houses, farms, markets). To some extent, the “View” menu (from which you can control whether roads, structures, water, etc., are drawn) will control what is drawn on the World Map too. On the Civilization view, markets are bluish green, houses are red, and farms are purple.
24 July 1998
- Tweaked the market/house/farm placement algorithm some more.
23 July 1998
- Changed the erosion algorithm to take rivers and lakes into account. Since water flow already has erosion built in, the soil erosion is made weaker for watery areas.
22 July 1998
- Improved the food/labor algorithm to make food and labor flow from market to market more easily. It still needs more improvements.